Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Sewing a Modest Swimsuit

When I was young my favorite swim wear was my cut-off jeans and a T-shirt.  Perhaps it was because I mostly swam in the creek that ran along the edge of our property.  I remember loathing the whole beginning of summer and trying to find a decent swim suit that fit. 

My youngest brother jumped out of the back of the truck while we were in town one day and ripped his shorts on the way down.  That got him a decent pair of trunks real quick!  If only I could think up a strategy like this.  Of course, it was pure accident, but it did get him some nice swimwear.

Then there was that time that I hung out at my friends house down the road a few miles.... her Mother spent the afternoon making us Wrangler jean cut-off shorts to wear.  I remember how important I felt that she'd take the time to make us something that fit and with such style!  But, alas, when I arrived home, the new shorts were a little too short and deemed OK for swim wear only.  Guess what?  That friend I was visiting is now one of my sister-in-laws! 

So... I tried making a swimsuit once when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade... out of a red pin striped T-shirt material.  I'll never forget that ridiculous thing.  I wore it once in the "hot tub" my brothers and I dug out of the side of the hill and lined with a blue tarp.  After the water sat in the lined pit a few days, it was fairly warm.... and probably growing things. 

I always wanted something I could wear and not feel like I had to tug in various places just to stay comfortable, let alone modest.  You know, something to run and jump and play in the sand and play water polo in.  I've finally found it!  Last year, we went swimming with another family several times and they all had the coolest swim wear.  I asked them where they purchased it and she said they had them made.  Here's the website:Simply Modest Swimwear  You can order multi-size patterns, or they will make one for you.  If you've ever wished for a decent suit to wear, go visit their site.  I only wished I'd made these sooner.

I've had the fabric and patterns for a year now, and finally finished them today. 

Sisters!

We could hang out all day in these and still be comfortable!
It's not that they take that long.  They are so simple and easy to make.  The fabric was way easier to work with then say, a sheer curtain fabric, my worst enemy.  Swimsuit fabric is heavier and stays put.  All you need is a size 11 ballpoint sewing machine needle and 100 percent polyester thread, chlorine resistant elastic, swim wear fabric and some liner. 

In one afternoon the girls pinned and cut all their pattern pieces out.  In another afternoon and part of the evening, I sewed them together.  It is two pieces:  the lined top has an attached skirt and then it has a pair of legging like shorts that are sewn separate.  That's it!  My girls love them and are so happy they don't have to wear a skimpy and uncomfortable suit ever again.

Now, my third daughter who is seven, wants one too and I'm going to make one for myself after the baby is born this summer.  No more uncomfortable, immodest suits for me either! 

5 comments:

  1. What a great post! Thanks for the link to the modest swimwear site. I agree that finding a modest bathing suit for the summer is so difficult. What an awesome resource, and your bathing suits turned out amazing! Your girls look so happy to be wearing these, and will have lots of fun in those modest suits for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely. It's always so hard to find good swimsuit patterns. You did an excellent job too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the way to go. I stopped swimming many moons back because I just couldn't put a bathing suit on anymore (I felt too naked!!!). I like the fabric the girls chose for the suits, very nice :) Thank you for sharing this pattern link on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! I am sure this will be a help to many of us mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls LOVE wearing modest swimming gear. They often opt for short sleeve, neck-high swimming shirts and long swimming shorts WITH a one piece suit underneath. I love these, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these swimsuits look fantastic and very modes, I am definitely going to keep this link for when our summer approaches. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. I hope all is well with you and your family. Blessings

    ReplyDelete